A. Please choose the best answer to complete each sentence.
21. Developing a strategy that your company or military cannot execute, ______ wonderful, is simply bad strategy.
(B) no matter
(C) no matter how
(D) regardless of
(E) no matter whether
22. Jony Ive, ______ with designing many of Apple’s most successful products, has been promoted to be chief design officer.
(C) is crediting
(E) has credited
詳解：本題五個選項的原動詞 credit 屬「及物」動詞，意思是「認為（某人）有（某優點或成就等）」。在本句中主詞 Jony Ive 顯然是「被」認為有功勞的人，因此空格中應填入具「被動」意涵的過去分詞 (D) credited。換句話說，在主詞之後的「過去分詞片語」credited with … 乃非限定用法之關係子句 who is credited with … 的簡化。
23. ______ a global nuclear war, life on earth as we know it would end forever.
(A) There should be
(B) If there will be
(C) If there had been
(D) Should there be
(E) Had there been
詳解：由本句主要子句中之動詞結構 would end 可斷定，本句為「假設句」，因此正確答案為 (D) Should there be。需要注意的是，Should there be 乃 If there should be 之變形－－依英文文法，若將假設子句的連接詞 If 省略時，該子句應採「倒裝」形式。本句要表達的意思是：假如發生了全球性的核子戰爭，那地球上的生物將會永遠終結。
24. ______ the catastrophic flooding of New Orleans was caused not merely by a powerful storm but primarily by fatal engineering flaws in the city’s flood protection system has been proved by experts.
25. Hospitals are competing for a decreasing market share; ______, they are attempting to discover the most cost-effective and highest quality care.
(B) on the whole
(C) in other words
(D) for example
26. “If not us, who is going to take care of the ______ Christians in Iraq, being one of the longest Christian communities ever in existence?” Jeb Bush said during a speech in Oklahoma City.
(C) being persecuted
(D) having persecuted
27. Scientific discoveries often happen unintentionally. In the early 20th century, Alexander Fleming noticed that the mold growing on one of the culture plates in his lab was killing all of the bacteria, ______ him to discover antibiotics.
(A) had lead
(B) was leading
(E) have lead
詳解：由空格後的受格代名詞 him 可知，本題五個選項的原動詞 lead 為「及物」用法，意思是「引導」。而「引導」him（指 Alexander Fleming）的則是 the mold growing on one of the culture plates in his lab was killing all of the bacteria「在他實驗室的培養皿之一中生長的黴菌把所有細菌都殺死了」這件事。由於「引導」屬「主動」之行為，因此本題應選「現在分詞」(D) leading。
28. Joey Alexander, whose parents are Christians, ______ his unique talent as being “a gift from God.”
29. When a patient is near death, a doctor should not be obliged to embark upon or continue heroic treatment ______ has no prospect of benefiting the patient.
(A) in which
(B) from which
(E) for whom
30. Sting, a supporter for humanitarian and environmental causes, established the Rainforest Foundation, an organization, ______.
(A) whose goal is to help save the world’s rainforests
(B) who goal is to help save the world’s rainforests
(C) that goal is to help save the world’s rainforests
(D) which goal is help save the world’s rainforests
(E) whatever goal is to help save the world’s rainforests
31. Ethnocentrism is the view that one’s own culture is better than all others. People will always find some aspect of another culture distasteful, ______ sexual practices, a way of treating friends or relatives, or simply a food that they cannot manage
to get down with a smile.
(A) be it
(B) owing to
詳解：本題空格前的 People will always find some aspect of another culture distasteful 是說「人們總是會認為別的文化中的某個面向令人嫌惡」，而其後的 sexual practices, a way of treating friends, or simply a food that they cannot manage to get down with a smile「性方面的習慣、對待朋友的方式，或只是一種他們沒辦法含著微笑吞下去的食物」指的就是前面提到的 some aspect of another culture。五個選項中最適合用來引導那些「可能的面向」的是 (A) be it。注意，be it 屬慣用語，意思相當於 whether it is，也就是「不管（它）是」之意。另外，在 be it 後通常必須接對等連接詞 or，而 be it … or就是「不管是……或是……」的意思。
32. She will not say what the item is, claiming that she won’t divulge the secret of a valuable or important item to people she does not know and can ______ be expected to trust.
B. For each sentence, please choose one underlined part that contains faulty English.
33. During the “dot-com” bubble in the United States which has lasted from the mid-1990s to 2001, many companies, to increase market share, purposely sold products at a loss, a scheme they believed would increase the company’s customer base and lead to future profits.
(A) which has lasted
(B) to increase
(C) at a loss
(D) they believed would
(E) lead to
34. The truth is, Geraldine, that in your case as an undergraduate student, you are not studying adequate enough, and you may find yourself in an awkward predicament sometime soon in the near future.
(A) that in
(C) adequate enough
(D) awkward predicament
(E) in the near future
35. The fact is that still we do not know why some people become addicts and others do not although there are many theories that reason that some people simply have an “addictive personality type”, being far more susceptible to the reward mechanism that produces addiction while others still believe that it is the addicts’ lack of will power to refrain without taking drugs or alcohol.
(A) why some people become
(B) that reason
(C) susceptible to
(D) lack of
詳解：本題考正確之搭配字詞。句中之refrain是「克制」的意思，若要表「克制不去做……」，其後應接介係詞 from，而非 (E) 選項的 without。
36. In Antarctica, a massive wall that for years was an obstacle to whale watchers receded in 2010 to reveal a shallow channel full of feeding humpbacks.
(D) to reveal
(E) feeding humpbacks
詳解：本題考正確之動詞時態。句中提到的 a massive wall「一大片牆」於 2010年「後退」，因此使用過去式的 receded，但是該片牆在 2010 年之前對於賞鯨者 (whale watchers) 而言一直都是一個阻礙 (an obstacle)，因此「be 動詞」應使用表「過去的過去」的「過去完成式」had been，而非 (B) 選項所使用的過去式 was。
37. Comparing its competitors in the energy space, the renewable energy industry is young. The biggest renewable energy employers, solar PV (1.6 million jobs) and wind (356,000), blow away the number of people employed in either of those industries in any other country, by multiples.
(C) blow away
38. When asking to conserve water, many people were disappointed that the government did not set a similar mandate for age. Before the order, the state had already turned off the tap for many farmers. And now it’s making further cuts.
(C) for age
39. Neither another penny will we spend on your education unless your grades improve and you become responsible for your work.
40. Facebook has had internal question-and-answer sessions whose employees can pose questions to CEO Mark Zuckerberg on topics ranging from the social media site itself to the direction of the company.
(A) has had
詳解：本題考正確關係代名詞之使用。(B) 選項的 whose 為 which 之所有格，其先行詞為 questions-and-answer sessions「問答時間」，但是 sessions 不會有 employees「受雇者」，由此可斷定 whose 為誤。本題應將 whose 改為 in which，也就是說，本關係子句要表達的應該是：臉書的員工可以在問答時間提出問題 (pose questions)。